08 January 2008

Happy new year

It is one full week into 2008, and I am still being met with greetings of “happy new year” or “bonne année” or “umwaka mweza”, not only by friends I haven’t seen since before the holidays, but by coworkers, taxi drivers, waiters and just about everyone I meet. It’s as though “happy new year” has replaced “hello” as a conversation opener. It strikes me as strange that a phrase that I associate with one night of celebration would be used for a week thereafter. Perhaps I also notice it because, having spent new year’s eve standing in line for the MARTA in Atlanta and then returned to a place where January may be the hottest month of the year, I had almost forgotten that it was indeed a new year. Thankfully I have everyone in Kigali to remind me. Though I do chuckle a little bit at each new year’s wish, I really like the idea of remembering a new year and the fresh start that it brings. It’s encouraging and nice to have a reminder that extends the celebration beyond a single night and a single day.

No comments: