13 February 2008

A garden

Since I moved into my house, the front half of the yard has been covered with six or seven giant mounds of dirt. I'm sure this would seem strange, until you consider the tremendous rains that pour down on Kigali almost every afternoon and realize that a garden planted on flat ground would be washed away immediately. So instead, gardens are made in mounds.
Tired of staring at these mounds of dirt, I finally went to town today to the store that sells seeds. After yet another long conversation of broken French and English, I came home with seeds to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, green peppers, spinach, cabbage and onions. Though I still lack confidence in my ability to grow much of anything, the seeds have been planted and there's a slight chance that one day I'll have mounds of vegetables instead of dirt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katherine... I definitely just spent the better part of 2 hours reading your blog!! It sounds like you're having an amazing time! :)