The Egyptian government announced today that the first case of H1N1 in Egypt has been confirmed. An Egyptian-American girl traveling to Egypt to spend the summer with her family was stopped at the airport (apparently they're checking the temperature of everyone who arrives and quarantining those with fever) and tested positive for the virus.
In my opinion, though, it was only a matter of time before the virus made its way into Egypt, and, really, I'm not convinced this is the first case to enter the country. It's just the first case the government has identified. I do feel a sense of relief though. After the scandalous rumors a couple months ago about NAMRU-3 being responsible for bringing H5N1 to Egypt, I'm glad the Egyptian government found the new virus before we did so we can shirk any responsibility for its introduction to the country and, for that matter, to the continent.
02 June 2009
H1N1 in Egypt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment