03 July 2009

Marsovin summer wine festival

Maltese wine + Italian food + a Spanish guitar and mandolin duet + perfect weather + fireworks = the most perfect night I’ve had in a while!
Earlier this afternoon I found out that Marsovin, a large wine producer in Malta, would be hosting its annual wine festival tonight in the Hastings Gardens, which are located just on the edge of the old city of Valletta, atop the city walls overlooking the sea. The event was described as a fusion of four Mediterranean cultures – Italian, Spanish, Maltese and Moroccan – over a celebration of Marsovin’s 90th anniversary. The gardens were divided into four areas, so that each culture could present food and entertainment to accompany the wine tastings. The Italian area served pasta and salads while classical music was performed by a pianist and flautist; the Spanish area had tapas and paella with a duet of Spanish guitar and mandolin, occasionally interrupted by Flamenco dancers; the Maltese area served traditional Maltese dishes, consisting mainly of rabbit and pasta, while two young men performed on the keyboard and guitar (mostly American music, oddly enough); the Moroccan area advertised shisha, falafel and belly dancing, but I have to admit I did my best to stay away from those reminders of Egypt.
It was a perfectly lovely evening. I wandered from area to area for a while, but settled for most of the night in the Spanish section of the gardens, listening to the hauntingly beautiful music of the guitar and mandolin and sipping on good wine. The scenery was beautiful with an incredible sunset over the harbor, and, just when I thought the night couldn’t get much better, fireworks began in the distance! I love love love fireworks, so this really made my night. Cheers!

No comments: