01 October 2008

Dahab

After only three days of work, I had my first Egyptian national holiday - Eid ul-Fitr - to celebrate the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting. Since the holiday began at sunset on a Tuesday evening, the office was closed on Wednesday and Thursday, creating a four-day weekend. Together with two friends from work, I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and visit a town called Dahab.

Dahab is located on the Sinai Peninsula on the coast of a part of the Red Sea called the Gulf of Aqaba. The town is known interenationally for its snorkeling and diving opportunities and locally for its relaxed, backpackers atmosphere.

At midnight on Tuesday we boarded a bus and by 9:00 the next morning we were in Dahab. The town was just as we had heard - very laid back and incredibly relaxing.
We spent the first day along the beachfront - lounging on pillows at cafes and restaurants, reading books, enjoying the beautiful weather and the views, napping in hammocks. I can't remember the last time I was so carefree and relaxed.

No comments: