16 October 2008

Home sweet home

I finally got around to taking some pictures of my flat in Cairo, so here's a brief tour of my new home. This first picture is the outside of my building. I live on the third floor. (I think there are five floors total.)
When you walk into my flat, you first enter a sitting area. The chairs are really small and kind of odd, so we're trying to figure out something else to do with this space, but, for now, we've left it just as we found it, like it is in this picture.
The floor plan is pretty open, so just in front of the sitting area is the living room. If you walked into the living room and turned to the right, you would see the dining room. These first three rooms are all open to one another so they basically form one large 'L'-shaped room.
From the dining room, if you turned back toward the front door, you would see a small bathroom. (It shares a wall with the sitting room.) Technically it's a full bath (see the shower head behind the light?) bt we use it as a half bath.
In the corner between the small bathroom and the dining room is the kitchen.
I'm so excited about the dishes and everything that I found for the kitchen that I had to take a picture of them too. I actually have matching plates and bowls and glasses and mugs!
Back out of the ktichen, along the outside wall of the living room and the dining room, is a narrow porch that looks out over the street. If, when entering the apartment, you had turned left just past the sitting area, you would enter a small hallway with two bedrooms and a bathroom. The bathroom would be directly in front of you. (I guess it's technically our laundry room as well. You can see the washing machine in the bottom left corner of this picture.)
My room is on the hallway to the right, sharing a wall with the living room. It's a good-sized room with a huge king-sized bed in the middle, two wardrobes, a dresser, a small chest of drawers and a door out to a small porch.
I think that's the end of my online open house. I know the flat is pretty bare but I can guarantee you that I'm working on that. Over the next couple months I'll be shopping for art, fabric, plants, pottery and furniture, and I'll bring some more decor back with me after my next trip home.

No comments: