29 January 2009

Hit the ground running

I always knew what the expression "hit the ground running" meant, but now I think I've truly experienced it. I landed in Cairo on Sunday afternoon and have been running so hard since then that I'm afraid I'm going to get run over if I stop.

In three days at work, I've responded to approximately 4,638 emails (ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, but it still took me over 5 hours to get through them all), sat through two absolutely ridiculous 3+ hour meetings, developed ideas for mid-year military funding proposals, attended sessions of an international Rift Valley Fever workshop, made various arrangements for a delegation from CDC visiting next week, learned how to catch bats and take blood samples from them (more on that later), written a $5 million proposal (which I found out about 36 hours before it was due), planned a trips to Kenya and Djibouti...

I hit the ground running and I have no idea when I'm going to be able to stop!

No comments: