Last night I dropped by my landlady's house about 8:00 p.m. to drop of my rent money. I knew she and her daughters had plans to go out shopping, so I thought I would just stop in quickly and leave. I had no idea what the night really had in store!
My landlady and her husband welcomed me into their home and insisted I sit down in the living room. They sat with me and we began to chat. Before long, I was introduced to the rest of what I soon discovered was "my Egyptian family," as we were joined by their two daughters (age 24 and 22), their son (age 17) and my landlady's mother. As I got to know everyone, I was served Sprite and an assortment of Egyptian sweets. I always feel a little awkward, holding a plate full of food in a room full of people where no one else has been served, but knowing that it would be rude not to eat everything in front of me, I gorged myself on the desserts. Although most Egyptian sweets are pretty good (and a couple of these were great!) they're so sweet that it's hard to eat an entire plate full of them. Afterward, I figured it was getting close to the time that my landlady and her daughters were planning to go shopping, so I tried to excuse myself, but at some point since my arrival, I learned, they had changed their plans and instead would shop tomorrow.
Coffee was served next, and as we all continued talking, I learned that both daughters had become engaged within the past couple months. (The most recent one's engagement party had been just a few weeks before, while I was in the U.S., which my landlady mentioned with regret, saying that she had hoped to invite me.) They brought me the photo albums from each daughter's engagement party and then we watched clips of the videos made from each party. I quickly realized that these engagement parties were as elaborate as many American weddings. They involved traditional musicians, a ring ceremony, a cake-cutting, dinner and dancing into the wee hours of the morning. As we watched the videos of the dancing at the parties, my adopted mother and sisters stood up in the living room and began to dance and then insisted that I join them. Even though my Arabic dancing skills (think of belly-dancing) aren't exactly up to par, everyone got a huge kick out of my efforts and we were all just about rolling on the floor laughing at ourselves.
As the videos began drawing to a close, I thought it might be time for me to make my exit, but then the doorbell rang, and dinner arrived; they had ordered fuul (bean) and tameya (falafel) sandwiches for all of us! We continued sitting together, chatting and laughing while we ate, until my adopted brother reminded everyone that Star Academy, the middle eastern version of American Idol, was on television. So we sat together and watched the reality television show and then drinking tea.
Finally I looked at my watch and realized that it was 1:30 a.m.!! I decided it was time to insist that I leave. It had been a wonderful night, but it was way past my bedtime! It was so fun to spend time with an entire family and to really feel as though I were really a part of it. So much a part, even, that my adopted little brother was forced by his parents to drive me home at the end of the night.
I can't wait for the next time I hang out with all of them again!
15 May 2009
Egyptian family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment