05 October 2007

YES Rwanda benefit

Each year over 100,000 youth enter the labor market in Rwanda, but less than one percent are able to find sustainable work. Tonight I attended a benefit at the Serena Hotel for an organization called YES Rwanda that is working to address the growing problem of unemployment in Rwanda, specifically among youth. Their goal is to create 200,000 sustainable jobs for youth to benefit overall livelihood and development.

The evening began with a cocktail hour, followed by a delicious buffet dinner. During dinner there were speeches from a representative of the minister of labor and from a South African official and entertainment from traditional dancers. At the end of the evening, there was an auction of photographs taken by some of the youth from the program.
I took a short video of the traditional dancers at dinner. It's too bad I couldn't continue filming when the dancers dragged Kate, Emily and I up to join them!



No comments: