09 December 2007

Christmas dinner

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the supermarket to shop for groceries to cook a Southern dinner for about a dozen of my good friends who were coming over to celebrate Christmas in Kigali. Most of what I planned to make was easy and familiar recipes, but trying to find the right ingredients in Kigali is always a little bit of a challenge. (For example, it’s impossible to find cheddar cheese, brown sugar, sour cream, vanilla extract and who knows what else.) Thankfully I was able to find most of what I needed for dinner – including four whole chickens imported from Burundi.

Now, as many times as I’ve eaten fried chicken, I have to confess that I’ve never actually fixed it, so I was a little nervous. I didn't want to disappoint, but somehow, before long, we had stoves and ovens full of food, including more than enough flour-coated chicken and a big pot of oil. I forgot to take a picture before everyone started filling their plates, but I think everything still looks pretty good.With a decorated Christmas tree, Santa hats, Christmas music, and mistletoe, not to mention lots of good company, it really felt like Christmas.After dinner we exchanged gifts and finished up the night with a "family portrait" of all of us in our hats. It was really a perfect celebration of the holidays together.

No comments: