When I woke up this morning, I never thought that seven hours later I’d be sitting at a tropical resort in the middle of the Tanzanian savannah. And yet here I am, sitting in a breezy, open restaurant, surrounded by beautiful purple, orange and pink flowers and cacti, sipping on “passion juice” (which I can only assume is made from passion fruit), listening to exotic birds that occasionally land on the patio next to me, gazing at Mount Kilimanjaro in the not-so-far distance. The scene is a little different than the uncomfortable, stuffy, dirty airport terminal where I thought I would spend my day. But when I was forced out of the Kilimanjaro airport upon arrival and given the option of walking back in by a different door or finding somewhere else to pass the time, I decided to explore. And so here I am at the Kia Lodge, just one kilometer and a world away from the airport, actually enjoying the ten hours that I'm having to wait before catching my next flight to Dar es Salaam.
19 December 2007
Unexpected plans
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment