A few weeks ago, we replaced the air conditioner in my office (since I share my office with at least a dozen other people and there are almost that many computers, having an air conditoner is necessary in the African heat), and since then I have had to wear long sleeves or a sweater or a scarf to work every day. I think the newness of a good, working air conditioner has convinced everyone that it is necessary to run the machine at a constant 18 degrees (64.4 degrees Fahrenheit) throughout the day. It's really quite ridiculous when I have to shed layers every time I leave my office, and then add those layers again whenever I return.
After lunch today, while kicking myself for not making a cup of coffee to keep warm, I asked one of my coworkers if he wasn't cold. He seemed almost surprised by my question, responding that no, of course, he was not cold. He in turn asked if I was cold and I told him that I am cold every day in this office. Again he was surprised by my words and laughed a bit, but then told me "in our culture, a woman who's always cold, it means that she is nice."
As I continue to freeze in my office, at least I can comfort myself with the fact that apparently I'm seen as "nice."
08 March 2008
Cold but nice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment