Today, like the last Saturday of every month, is umuganda, a mandatory day of community work. From six in the morning until noon, businesses close and public transportation stops, and everyone in Kigali is expected to work in and clean their neighborhoods. Supposedly, refusal to participate in umuganda is punishable by arrest and even government officials (including President Kagame) participate in the day’s events. It's no wonder, then, that Kigali is so surprisingly clean!
I have to confess, though, I've spent the morning sitting on my front porch, drinking coffee and reading, but I'm curious to see if the road is any cleaner when I open our front gate.
2 comments:
Katherine,
Hello from Greenville, SC. I'm responding for LeNelle and Nick and me on the "Umuganda" Saturdays.
We could use "Umgreenville" and for that matter "UmUSA". We think it's a great idea that needs to spread like wildfire.
Not only is it needed, the monthly activity can improve to the social side of living (many around the world work so hard and long) as well provide a break from the tediousness of life.
Keep up the good work.
Nelson E. Valdes
LeNelle & Nick
P.S. Lauren is contactable also...just e-mail LeNelle for Lauren's latest e-maill address.
LeNelle - "lenelle05@charter.net"
God Bless You All
lol... ummm... i never noticed the streets being any cleaner on saturday... I really never figured out exactly what everyone does.. miss you girl! hope you are doing okay over there! muah!
Post a Comment