I saw this display in one of the museums in Stone Town and thought it was worth noting. I know the quality of the picture isn't very good, but notice the graph on the left that shows almost two-thirds of the buildings in Stone Town are deteriorating and only approximately an eighth are in good condition. On the right is a map of the city that gives a visual of these statistics. Even though you can't make out individual buildings in the photo, you can still notice that the majority of the map is red or brown, showing buildings that are deteriorating or in poor condition, and very little is yellow, indicating buildings that are in good condition.It's really an unfortunate situation. Stone Town is home to some incredibly interesting architecture and amazing buildings, but the majority of the town is in shambles. So many of the buildings are crumbling, and even though there are efforts to repair some of them, I'm afraid it's going to take a lot to be able to repair everything that needs it.
16 July 2008
Buildings in Zanzibar
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment