21 July 2008

Spice Tour

One of the classic tourist activities on Zanzibar is to do a spice tour. On the way back to Stone Town from Kendwa, I stopped at one of the spice plantations on the island for a tour. I wandered through the plantation with one of the local farmers who pointed out various spices and fruits, made us guess which each was and then explained the uses for each. Even though I guessed wrong on most of the plants, it was a fun way to spend the afternoon.

I took pictures of several of the spices and fruits we saw:

Cinnamon root, leaves and bark...
Vanilla plant...
Jack fruit...
A fruit that's similar to jack fruit (I forgot the name)...
Saffron...
Cloves...
Lemongrass...
I hate to admit it, but I forgot what this one is too...
Cassava...
Grapefruit (on the left side of the picture)...
Coconut (with one of the boys climbing the tree to pick some for us to have some fresh coconut to eat and drink)...
Peppercorn vine...
Throughout the afternoon, we were followed around by three young boys who picked leaves from the various trees and made bags, necklaces, bracelets, rings and crowns for us to carry and wear. I know we looked ridiculous, but the boys were adorable and it was a lot of fun.

No comments: