Hair, particularly women's hair, is a significant subject here. There are two beliefs in particular that can be an issue:
1. A woman with wet hair has just had sex. Although Western women are sometimes excluded from this topic, I am much more conscious now than I have ever been about leaving the house with a wet head of hair. (I'm sure my mom is reading this and loving the idea of me paying attention, for once, to drying my hair before leaving the house!)
2. A woman with visible bodily hair (on her arms, legs, toes, face - except eyebrows - and anywhere else) does not take care of herself. It is a very strong belief that a woman should have zero hair on her body other than her hair on her head and her eyebrows. Probably the closest comparison would be the way that Americans sometimes look at European women who don't shave their legs or underarms; Egyptian women are disgusted by other women who have any body hair, even though their bodies are usually completely covered to the wrists and ankles with clothing. One of my American friends here has dark arm hair and has received so many comments about it that she finally went last night and had it all waxed off. I've been told that because my hair is blonde, it's ok, but I know women still stare when sitting next to me on the metro.
14 November 2008
Beliefs about hair
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment