I’m back in Djibouti for trip number three. It’s a quick one this time, planned at the last minute and just three days long, but hopefully it will be productive. The majority of the protocols and projects that I’m managing are in Djibouti so even though I’m only here for a short period of time, I have a lot to do. Over the next couple days I’ll be holding meetings, conducting assessments, visiting sites, making new contacts and following up on previous meetings for a number of projects including:
- Surveillance for vector-borne and zoonotic diseases in human, animal and insect populations at the local slaughterhouse and in the animal transport section of the port,
- Management of HIV-positive patients with suspected drug resistance to antiretroviral treatment,
- Study of drug resistant gonorrhea in patients seeking treatment for sexually transmitted infections at the national reference center,
- Study of sexually transmitted infections and HIV genotyping and drug resistance in commercial sex workers,
- Capacity building for diagnosis and surveillance of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis (MDRTB) at the national tuberculosis reference center,
- Construction of a central public health laboratory to serve as a reference laboratory and surveillance center, and
- Hiring of a local person to assist with the coordination of these and other activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment