This weekend a couple friends and I decided to go camping near Bahariya, a desert oasis about 4 1/2 hours southwest of Cairo. We met our guide at the busstop in Bahariya and headed out into the desert almost immediately. The views were pretty incredible.The next section of the desert reminded me almost of how I envision the moon to look. This area is called the white desert and it's full of quartz rocks and formations.
We then drove into an area that was different than the open desert we had driven through all day. Here there were enormous (I really do mean huge - each was several stories high!) rock formations all around.
We kept driving out into the desert as the sun set and eventually arrived at the place where we would camp. We arrived just as the sky grew dark, and our driver and his crew started setting up camp and fixing dinner. Before long we had a delicious dinner of rice, stewed vegetables and grilled chicken and then sat around the campfire while the Egyptian guys played traditional music on a double-flute and several drums. As much as I wanted to stay up all night and listen to them play, I was exhausted from work and from travel, so I decided to go to bed fairly early. We slept under the open sky on large rugs with thin cushions and heavy camel blankets. It was surprisingly comfortable and I slept better in the silent desert than I have in a while.
11 April 2009
Camping in Bahariya
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment