21 April 2008

Bizarre

It's not uncommon for completely bizarre things to happen without anyone seeming to notice or care. This morning I wasn't feeling very well when I woke up, so I decided to call in sick to work and get a little extra rest, lest I catch one of the bugs going around town right now. Since it's a beautiful day and since I get better wireless internet outside than inside, I was sitting on my front porch, enjoying some fruit and checking my email, when I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked up towards the wall that separates my house from my office and saw a man in a red Terracom (the internet company in Rwanda) jumpsuit standing on the wall. He looked just as shocked to see me as I was to see him, so much so, in fact, that I was afraid he might fall off the wall. I motioned that it was alright for him to come over and he pulled his ladder over to my side of the fence and proceeded to work on the internet cable that runs from my office across my house and to the project building on the other side of my house. It was just one of many situations that is completely bizarre and yet completely normal.
(This is the view looking out from my porch toward my office. You can see the wall in between.)

No comments: