20 April 2008

Passover Seder

Today I participated in my first Passover Seder, and I really enjoyed it. The Seder is a dinner that is usually held on the first night of passover. It's not just a meal though; it involves much ritual and tradition. The focus of the Seder is the Haggadah, the story of the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, and the telling of this story, especially to children. The story includes stories and blessings and songs and prayers, as well as traditions such as eating six symbolic foods from the Seder plate and drinking four cups of wine. Although an ancient and traditionally Jewish custom, I found that the Seder was very relevant to the modern world where slavery and bondage still exist in so many forms - social, economic, ethnic, etc. - and to the Christian faith which has the same roots in the story of the exodus.

Plus, dinner was delicious (if I'm allowed to say so myself, since I cooked most of it) and the company was great. I would have enjoyed the evening even if it had only been dinner with such a good group of friends.

No comments: