27 April 2008

Prayer quilt

Today I received a wonderful package from home. In addition to my favorite cookies from Central America, my black scarf that I've been missing since I left it at home over Christmas, delicious trail mix complete with M&Ms and a beautiful ceramic cross (all of which are absolutely incredible!), the package contained a particularly meaningful gift from my home church, Buncombe Street United Methodist Church in Greenville, South Carolina. The gift is a quilt, approximately five feet by five feet, made by one of the women of the church in beautiful colors of red, yellow and green. Before making the journey across the Atlantic Ocean, I've been told that the quilt hung in the lobby of the church. There, members of the church prayed for my time and work in Rwanda and, as they did so, each tied a knot in green thread that hangs where squares of fabric meet on the front of the quilt, so that now the green thread is full of knots.
The quilt is absolutely beautiful and I am truly humbled by it. I really don't know the words to express how much it means to me, knowing the time, thoughts and prayers that went into the creation of this wonderful gift. To anyone from Buncombe Street who reads this blog, I want to say simply, thank you. Thank you for your prayers and your support and your thoughts and your encouragement. I am so blessed and so honored to be a member of such a strong church family. Although it's draped across the back of my couch right now, please know that this beautiful quilt will hang in the hallway of my house where I'll pass by it and think of you daily.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katherine,
It was my honor to sew the quilt and I am so glad you can feel all the love, prayers and good wishes that flowed through us here in Greenville, South Carolina to this quilt. I was blessed to work on it and am so glad you are thrilled!
Blessings to you,
Anne J.

Rev. Jer said...

Kath, Prayer quilts are cool! I tied a few knots in yours. Rev. Jenks is in Rwanda now, perhaps you can hook up? Try him @ greg@zoeministry.org. Rev. Jer

Anonymous said...

Katherine,
I work with the lady who made this quit. She told me that you had posted comments and shared your site with me. She is a wonderful lady and is honored that this gift meant so much to you.
May God richly bless you,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Katherine,
I work with the lady who made this quilt. She told me that you had posted comments and shared your site with me. She is a wonderful lady and is honored that this gift meant so much to you.
May God richly bless you,
Kathy