07 May 2008

Birthday dinner

For about a week, one of my friends has told me nothing except that I shouldn't make plans to celebrate my birthday. She finally told me on Monday that I should be at a friend's house at 8:00. When I arrived, I found ten of my closest friends in Kigali and a full Mexican feast. (I must have mentioned to my friend who organized the event that I always celebrate my birthday with Cinco de Mayo.) They had made tacos, fajitas, salsa, mexican rice, guacamole, salad, sangria and so much more! There were hard taco shells, black beans, nacho cheese and spices imported from the U.S. and even tortillas and tortilla chips found by some miracle in Kigali.
I cannot even begin to describe how much this dinner meant to me. I am still amazed by the effort that everyone put forth to make the night happen. There was so much cooking involved, and the house was decorated with balloons and streamers, and so many people contributing special food items from the U.S. (even a chocolate marble cake and an Oreo cheesecake for dessert!). The food was incredible and the company was fantastic. Dinner was so much fun, and I am still so amazed by all of it. I cannot think of a better way to have celebrated my birthday.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Oh how I miss my mexican with you!
Miss you tons!