25 May 2008

Cruise on the Zambezi

In Lusaka, we work Tuesday through Saturday, so our weekends are always Sunday and Monday. This week, though, because Monday is a national holiday, we take Tuesday as a holiday, giving us a three-day weekend. I found out about this at the very last minute and immediately planned (and by "planned", I really mean, "found out when the bus left Lusaka and decided to be on it") a trip to Livingstone, in southern Zambia.

After a long bus ride, I arrived in Livingstone around 2:00 in the afternoon. I checked into my hostel and booked a ticket for a sunset cruise on the Zambezi river. The boat, called the "Lady Livingstone" was brand new and so nice.
Even before the sun began to set, the views were beautiful. I could spot zebra and antelope and other wildlife along the shores of the river as we cruised upstream. Being a South Carolina girl, through and through, though, I especially loved the palmetto-like trees.
The sunset, though, was absolutely incredible. I can't help but post several pictures of it.

No comments: