The town of Livingstone is probably most famous for being the home of Victoria Falls, which, by some measures, are considered the largest falls in the world. Mosi-oa-Tunya ("the smoke that thunders"), as they are called in the local Lozi language, are a truly incredible sight and are considered one of the seven natural wonders of the world.As I wandered along the path to view the falls, the mist from the crashing water became thicker and thicker until it literally felt as though I were walking through a monsoon.
I was absolutely soaking wet, and at the viewing point closest to the center of the falls, when I tried to take a classic Clemson picture, I realized I couldn't even see the falls through the mist.
The mist was even thick looking away from the falls, though it created absolutely beautiful rainbows all around.
To try to dry myself after being soaked on my walk close to the falls, I headed upstream, from where I had an even better view of "the smoke that thunders".
Afterwards, I decided to move downstream to view the falls and the gorge from a different point of view. Below the falls, the river enters a series of seven major gorges. The gorges are tremendous, with an average depth of approximately 400 feet.
26 May 2008
Victoria Falls
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment