The Zambezi River separates Zambia from Zimbabwe, so while I was at Victoria Falls, I decided to see if I could slip across into Zimbabwe. As it turns out, it was much easier than I expected.
Just below the falls is the bridge that connects the two countries. Since this bridge is also the site for the bungee jump over the gorge, I walked up to the man at the fence and asked him if I could go out on the bridge to watch the jumpers. I expected a lecture about how I either needed proof that I was jumping or a visa for Zimbabwe, but instead, he sent me inside to get a note from the immigration office. Once in the immigration office, I went to the counter, explained that I wanted to go out on the bridge to watch the bungee jumps, and was given a small slip of paper. I went back outside to the gate, handed my slip of paper to the man there and ventured out onto the bridge.
I did stop to look at the falls and the gorge (since there weren't any bungee jumpers at that time), but then continued on across the bridge. A few minutes later, I was off the bridge and heading up a street into Zimbabwe.
26 May 2008
Sneaking into Zimbabwe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment