One of my good friends and former coworkers from Rwanda is in town today. He's actually in Egypt much longer than just today, but he's on an organized tour so today is his only free day.
When I found out that he was coming up from Rwanda, I knew exactly where I had to take him for brunch. Lucille's was founded in 1996 by an American who had been living in Cairo for several years and serves up a delicious, Southern breakfast menu all day on the weekends. I've had the biscuits and gravy, chicken fried chicken, sausage and eggs and omelets, and so far it's all delicious! Brunch at Lucille's probably wouldn't be much of a treat for someone visiting from the States, but for those of us who live on the African continent, it's always a treat!After brunch, we headed downtown to the Khan el-Khalili to do some shopping. The Khan is the main tourist market in Cairo and is an experience in itself just to visit. The narrow pathways between buildings are lined with vendors selling everything from belly-dancing outfits and carved pharonic statues to pillow cases and jewelry.
When we were exhausted after a couple hours in the Khan, we took a taxi over to the Nile and took a felucca out on the water to relax. It was a beautiful day to be on the Nile - just enough of a breeze to keep the felucca moving, but no so much that it was too cool to enjoy it.
Since it was still a little too early for dinner, we headed up to a rooftop bar on the top of one of the hotels right on the Nile for a drink. I had only been there after dark, so I didn't realize what incredible views of Cairo we were about to experience when we stepped out on the balcony. I may have to take everyone there from now on to get a full view of the city and some understanding of just how big it is!
Once it started getting dark, we headed to dinner at a local Egyptian restaurant (since we had American food for brunch, I figured we should have some local cuisine for dinner).
I've really been reminded this week of some of the wonderful friendships I have and it's been fantastic to have a couple visitors. I can't wait for more!
21 March 2009
A day with a friend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment