23 March 2009

"A modest token"

I've been sitting in this restaurant for a while tonight. I don't have internet at my new apartment yet, so I've been having to find other places to use it, and since it's working well tonight, I've stayed longer than I initially meant to. I think now, though, it might be time to go.

A few minutes ago my waiter (who I now know quite well) came over, I thought to bring the bill (I'm wearing a baseball cap, so it's hard to see what's going on around me clearly when I'm typing), and instead he said "Miss Katherine, I hope you will accept this modest token" as he sat down this plate:
Now I don't know about you, but I see NOTHING modest about that token! What an elaborate delicious dessert! And, as it turns out, it's not just elaborate - it's DELICIOUS! An ice cream cake with Oreo crust on the top and the bottom, drizzled with caramel and chocolate. It's probably the best dessert I've had since arriving in Cairo.

But I still think it's a pretty good sign I've been in this restaurant too long and should go home. Hopefully I'll have internet access soon so I don't have to keep batching my photos and stories!

No comments: