Most things in Egypt take a really long time, usually much longer than I think they should. Although I can sometimes identify the reason for the delay - bureaucracy, eighteen middle-men, a lack of infrastructure, traffic - there are a lot of times when the excessive length of time it takes to accomplish a simple task is just inexplicable.
Earlier this week, though, I discovered that finding a new flat is not a typical takes-way-longer-than-it-should task. Over the past couple weeks I had decided that I would prefer to live by myself than with a roommate, so I thought I would look around at some flats. I saw an advertisement for one that sounded interesting, so I went to see it last Thursday afternoon. It was nice but I didn't want to take the first flat I saw, so I went to see a couple more places on Saturday.
By Monday afternoon, though, I had decided that I was pretty sure I wanted the first place, but I wanted to see it again (and check water pressure, mattress thickness, couch comfort, etc.) to be sure. I called to make an appointment to see the apartment and was told I could see it at 5:00 that evening. I went to the flat, expecting just to take a look so I could then return home to make a final decision, but after looking around and meeting the woman who owns it (who would be my landlord), I was sold. I said that I would take it and within twenty minutes, someone had been sent and returned with the contract. The landlord and I both signed it, and I became the proud tenant of a lovely little flat! I couldn't be more excited, or more amazed at how simple - and quick - the process was!
As a side note, it was a little odd to realize that the first lease I've ever signed on my own is in Cairo, Egypt! Who would have ever thought that would be the case!?
13 March 2009
Finding a new flat
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment