12 December 2008

Garden of Gethsemane

Farther down the Mount of Olives is the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus went to pray with his disciples prior to his crucifixion. Overlooking the Garden of Gethsemane is the Church of All Nations, also known as the Church of the Agony. It was amazing to me how much the architecture of the church was able to reflect and emphasize the solemnity and agony of the site. It wasn't as obvious from the outside of the church, but from the moment I set foot inside the building, I could feel the intensity of the place.I loved the doors at the entrance to the church. The metalwork of the gnarled, twisted wood of the olive trees set the tone for the entire church.
Inside the church was silent and dark. The beautiful purple stained glass windows gave the space a dark glow while keeping out most of the natural sunlight. In front of the altar of the church is the piece of bedrock on which it is said Jesus prayed before his arrest.

No comments: